Map of South Dakota

Mobile Food Distribution

Bringing Food to Communities

Children and adults face hunger in every community across the country. Your neighbor, child’s classmate or even co-worker may be struggling to get enough to eat.

Our Mobile Food Distribution Program allows us to go where hunger is, instead of hunger having to find us.

Each month, South Dakotans facing hunger can receive grocery boxes pre-packed with nutritious foods such as fresh or frozen produce, meat, shelf-stable items, dairy products, boxed meals, and more. The food items are donated to us through the USDA's The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) and other sources both locally and nationally. These distributions supplement the work of agency partner pantries, shelters and meal sites operating in fixed locations.

Sites are hosted by a Feeding South Dakota partner and are set up drive-through style, where volunteers load food directly into the vehicles of those utilizing the program.  All in need of food assistance are welcome to come and receive food at no cost to them.

Proxy Form
Man helping load a box of food into a car

Find a Mobile Food Distribution

Use our interactive Find Food Map to locate a Mobile Food Distribution and other Feeding South Dakota food resources near you. Simply enter the name of your city, select the distance you are willing to travel, and select "All Programs" or "Mobile Food Distribution". Once you select the Search button all available options will show up.

Frequently Asked Questions:

No pre-registration, referrals or I.D. are required to visit a Mobile Food Distribution site. You may receive food from any one site one time each calendar month.

Because some of the food items are through federal nutrition programs, you will be asked to register your household before receiving food. This includes providing your name, address, the number of people living in your home and ages of those individuals. You will also be asked to self-declare your income level.

Yes! We understand that the date and time our Mobile Food Distribution Program is in your community may not work. You may send someone to do a Proxy Pickup by printing and completing the State's Proxy Form and sending it along with the individual that will pick up your food. This individual will need to show a valid I.D. to confirm they are the person authorized by the form.

At this time, the form must be completed each time you send a proxy.

If you do not have someone to pick up food for you, you may visit any one of our sites once each calendar month even if it is not in your immediate community.

If you have questions about the form please contact the South Dakota Department of Education by calling 605.773.4736.

When picking up food for your family we do not require I.D. or paperwork, but you will be asked to provide information to register your household.

When picking up food for someone else: You must bring along a Proxy Form, completed by the person you are getting the food for, that has been signed by you as the TEFAP Proxy. You will be asked to present a valid I.D. for yourself. This form and your valid I.D. must be presented each time you pick up food for someone else.

Any person in need of food assistance may receive food from our Mobile Food Distribution. However, to receive USDA food items made available through The Emergency Food Assistance Program you must be a resident of South Dakota and fall within the income guidelines.

People who live at the same address can each receive food so long as each of them are financially independent from each other and are 18 years of age or older. For more information please contact us at

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

  1. mail:
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

Our Program Team works with community partners in communities where individuals and families lack access to adequate and nutritious foods. The success of the program depends on a site host who organizes the volunteers and logistics while Feeding South Dakota provides the food.

If you are interested in exploring a Mobile Food Distribution Program in your community contact us to get started!