Fundraisers and Food Drives
In the effort to relieve hunger in South Dakota, nothing has a stronger impact than the fundraisers and food drives taking place all across the state. By raising awareness for the mission of Feeding South Dakota and joining the battle against hunger, you are saving lives and positively impacting the state forever. Whether your organization wants to raise money for Feeding South Dakota or your son or daughter is inspired to start a food drive at school, your contributions make a difference.
If you would like to host a food drive or fundraiser, please contact Shawna Gray in Rapid City, John Geyer in Sioux Falls or Russ Hofeldt in Pierre. Please call BEFORE hosting your drive. Feeding South Dakota has a specific set of needs and items we are able to accept. The list below will help you ensure that 100% of the items donated in your food drive will go to the hungry of South Dakota.
Food Pantry Needs List
Canned meats and canned pasta
Boxed meal (hamburger and tuna helpers)
Peanut Butter and Jelly
Baby Products: diapers, wipes, food (no glass, opened, or expired baby food)
Pasta (assorted noodles)
Personal Care Items*
Toothpaste & Brushes
Here are some of the great fundraisers and food drives going on right now.
- Student Hunger Drive- A food and fund drive that is coordinated through the Sioux Empire area middle schools. Each year during a two-week period in late November and early December, students from each participating school compete against each other to see who can collect the most food and funds. These wonderful young men and women collect over 20,000 pounds in food and over $20,000 in cash each year.
- Sportsmen Against Hunger - A non-profit organization that encourages South Dakota hunters to donate a portion or all of their wild game to help in the fight against hunger. This program coordinates with local game processors who agree to process, at a reduced cost, wild game that will be donated to area hunger-fighting organizations. Additionally, each fall SAH sponsors a “Clean Out Your Freezer” drive to get hunters to donate their leftover game from the prior season. As meat is one of the more difficult products to get donated, the efforts of this group help provide a valuable and nutritious product to help those in need.
- Crazy Horse Memorial - From free admission with two cans of food during the off-season to food collected during the annual Volksmarch to the top of the monument (Memorial admission free to hikers with a suggested donation of cash or 2 cans of food per person), the Ziolkowski family has long sponsored events to collect food items and donated money to support the mission of the food bank and pantry in Rapid City.
- National Association of Letter Carriers Food Drive - This is a nationwide annual food drive event put on by the National Letter Carriers Union. Each spring, local letter carriers solicit and collect food donations from postal customers on their delivery routes. Between the Rapid City and Sioux Falls areas, we receive over 50,000 pounds in food donations.
- Boy Scout Food Drive - This an annual food drive held by the Boy Scout Troops in Rapid City and Sioux Falls. In the late fall every year, Boy Scout and Cub Scout troops join forces to distribute food donation bags door-to-door throughout the city. At a later day or time, they return to collect those bags of donations. Through the efforts of these young men, we collectively receive over 60,000 pounds in much-needed food donations.